Friday, December 2, 2011

How much weightlifting in general do swimmers do?

I am finding that doing the bodypump routine at the YMCA inhibits my swimming. Yet I like the core strength. When I did just yoga and swimming I was not as lean, as with weightlifting 3X a week.|||Weight lifting is an integral part of training for nearly every world class swimmer. Sprinters tend to lift a little more than distance swimmers. On my college team, the sprinters lifted 4x a week while everyone else lifted 3x a week. The lifting swimmers do is a little different from your standard beefcake lifting routine. There is a lot more stability and explosive work. Lifting can only hurt your swimming if you're not simultaneously making a concerted effort to maintain your flexibility. So, stretch twice daily, and you'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment