Thursday, November 24, 2011

Does weightlifting apply to distance runners?

I want to be a professional distance runner when I grow up. I am training hard and lifting weights. I am wondering if weightlifting helps improve my distance running ability, because I see that many professional distance runners are skinny? I want to get a nice physique, so that I can be strong when I grow up and be able to stick up for myself, but I don't want to harm my ability by lifting weights. How can I accomplish this? Thank you for your time and advice.|||first of all if you are good enough at running you shouldnt need to be strong to stick up for yourself, seeing as you can just run away : )





distance runners should do weights to help prevent injury, but high rep, low weight and low recovery. It wont necessarily make you faster, but it will make it easier to train harder, which will make you faster. As everyone else said, do lower weight and higher reps, but also, make sure to do several sets, and with low rest. For distance runners, your weight sessions should primarily involve very low rest (30 seconds or less) to help build up endurance strength. Even sprinters such as Michael Johnson, and Jeremy Wariner did/do high rep, (12-13 reps) so keep in mind that it should be pretty minimal. Distance runners definitely need to do a lot more running than lifting. Here's a link to what Hicham El Guerrouj did in 1996, that might help you get an idea of what to do:


http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrou鈥?/a>|||Weightlifting , also called Olympic weightlifting or Olympic-style weightlifting, is a sport in which participants attempt a maximum weight single lift of a barbell loaded with weight plates. The two lifts currently competed are the clean and jerk and the snatch. The compound word "weightlifting" is often used incorrectly to refer to weight training. In comparison with powerlifting, weightlifting requires more power because the lifts must be executed more quickly and with more mobility because of a greater range of motion during the lifts. While there are relatively few competitive Olympic lifters, the lifts and their components are commonly used by elite athletes to train for explosive and functional strength.|||Yes. Running is a function of the cardio-vascular system and the muscular system as well. You need endurance for distance running, both cardio and strength. Target your strength training this way: low weight and high repetitions; and do strength movements which mimic running movement...in isolation that is, not in total. Finally, work your abs and obliques and lower back with high repetition, no weight movements. These are your core muscles which keep your running form correct. High repetitions build endurance strength and no weight reduces the risk of injury, especially to the lower back.|||Well Josh, I would say you can lift weights, but when doing distance anything over 400 Meters if your trying to build muscle mass and run a good bit your only going to cancel out the ability to get really thick muscle. Just work on getting cut as best as possible and run seriously if that is what you want!! I'm 5'11 and 150-155 with hardly any fat, but my running hasn't allowed me to get bigger.........but since I want to be fast I can live with this........but the weight lifting definately helps the running aspect so go for it!!|||Absolutely! Weightlifting is a vital part of any distance runner's training plan. First off, muscle prevents injury. When you spend a lot of time on your feet, you put a lot of pressure on the knees and ankles and hips. Building muscle around these joints will protect you from injury. Furthermore, stronger legs go faster and further - simple as that.





You don't have to be "skinny" to be a long distance runner. Take a closer look - they are all muscle mass, no fat.|||YES!. Im a distance runner and I lift weights for my team workouts. But what you do is lower lbs. and higher reps. It makes you more sloid without gaining bulk..Yes distancerunners are skinny but our muscles are rock solid.


It is also very important to do ALOT of ab work.. Stronger abs mean less muscle cramps in the ab region and help to keep your body upright..hleping you to run faster.. I hope this helps|||OMG yes ! Lift Lift I'm a distance runner at my college Farmingdale State and I know that you must lift to prevent injury, also like it was said before by another, low weight and more reps! but not too low on the Ibs man, train hard and believe in yourself !! Good luck !|||YES!!!!!


YES YES





to be a good runner you have to be strong all around, in every part of your body. runners are skinny simply because they have NO fat on them (it all gets burnt up!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment